IPL 2021 suspended due to Covid-19 crisis: Overseas players likely to start returning home from May 5

1 week ago 10

The overseas players participating successful the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2021 are apt to commencement returning location from May 5 (Wednesday) aft the Board of Control for Cricket successful India (BCCI) suspended the T20 tourney owed to the increasing Covid-19 situation successful the country.

The Indian cricket board's determination came conscionable hours aft Sunrisers Hyderabad wicketkeeper Wriddhiman Saha and Delhi Capitals leg-spinner Amit Mishra became the latest additions successful the database of players who tested affirmative for Covid-19 during IPL 2021.

Kolkata Knight Riders duo Varun Chakravarthy and Sandeep Warrier, Chennai Super Kings bowling manager L Balaji and a autobus cleaner had contracted the microorganism connected Monday (May 3). The tourney had already mislaid 5 players - Andrew Tye (Rajasthan Royals), Liam Livingstone (RR), Kane Richardson (Royal Challengers Bangalore), Adam Zampa (RCB) and Ravichandran Ashwin (DC) - who near the IPL bio-bubble citing idiosyncratic reasons.

Several apical planetary cricketers volition present beryllium scrambling to instrumentality location aft the postponement of the world's biggest T20 league.

"We person been moving connected their question plans successful consultation with their respective boards truthful that each of them scope location safely," the BCCI authoritative said requesting anonymity.

"Some of them volition instrumentality location tomorrow."

IPL Chairman Brijesh Patel said the league would facilitate a creaseless transition for each the foreigners. "Franchises volition marque their statement to nonstop them back. We volition widen immoderate assistance is required," Patel told Reuters.

His assurance notwithstanding, existing question restrictions marque it a analyzable process for many, particularly the 40-odd Australian contingent, including 14 players, successful India.

AUSSIES STRANDED IN INDIA

Australia has banned travellers from India, including its ain citizens, from entering the state until May 15.

Cricket Australia could not bring bully quality for the likes of Steve Smith and David Warner successful a connection with the Australian Cricketers' Association.

"CA and the ACA respect the determination of the Australian Government to intermission question from India until astatine slightest May 15 and volition not question exemptions," it said.

The Australian committee said it was "in nonstop contact" with the BCCI "to guarantee the harmless accommodation and repatriation of Australian players, coaches, lucifer officials and commentators backmost location to Australia".

Some reports suggested that a fewer of the Australian contingent mightiness caput to the Maldives and hold determination until they get the go-ahead to instrumentality home.

'PLEASE DADDY COME HOME'

Hyderabad subordinate and Australia opener David Warner shared connected his Instagram leafage a sketch of his household by his girl with the message: "Please daddy travel location consecutive away. We miss you a batch and emotion you."

Former trial subordinate and commentator Michael Slater, stranded successful the Maldives, had earlier criticised the prohibition connected arrivals from India, saying Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison has "blood" connected his hands.

Returning volition besides not beryllium straightforward for England's World Cup-winning skipper Eoin Morgan, who leads IPL's Kolkata franchise, and 10 of his compatriots.

Britain added India to its question "red-list" past month, which means the English contingent volition person to quarantine for 10 days successful a hotel.

The England and Wales Board (ECB) said it was successful interaction with the English contingent "as arrangements are enactment successful spot for them to instrumentality location safely.

"The ECB ...thanks the BCCI for its committedness to bash everything successful its powers to put for the unafraid and harmless transition of each those taking portion successful the competition," an ECB spokesperson said.

The South African cricket committee said it was making arrangements to bring backmost its players and enactment unit from India.